Table of Contents
When it comes to ergonomic standing desks and accessories, there is no denying that Varidesk always comes on top of everyone’s list. Their line of standing desk converters are, without doubt, top of the line. But is it worth the extra premium price?
We’ll be going over some of the features, pros and cons that comes with Varidesk Pro Plus 36 inch, and we’ll be seeing if the the hype is worth its investment. Just to note, the Pro Plus comes with different sizes, but the 36 is a perfect happy medium that we think will fit on most desks. The other sizes are the 30 inch, for smaller spaces, and the 48 inches, for larger room.
You will love the Varidesk Pro Plus if:
- If you have heavy equipment – If you have heavier monitor set up, you’ll need a standing desk that has sturdy. The Varidesk Pro Plus is great for heavier computer equipments.
- If you like having your keyboard and mouse lower than monitor – This can be ideal for a lot of people because of the ergonomics. Some people like having the keyboard and mouse at a lower level than their monitor to help with a better ergonomic feeling.
- Good warranty and customer service – The Varidesk has good warranty and customer service. Do you prefer to deal with a company that can provide you excellent service and repair broken equipment?
You may not like the Varidesk Pro Plus if:
- Need more surface area space – The Varidesk Pro Plus series has a cutout in their desk which can cut into the total surface area. If you have a large keyboard, you won’t even have space to put a lot of the office supplies on your keyboard tray.
- If you have a lot of office space – This desk converter is a double Z design, meaning that the desk will come towards you as your desk is raised, impeding into your work area.
What makes the Varidesk Pro Plus so great?
Unlike some standing desks, the Pro Plus can be used immediately right out of the box without assembly or installation. There is no reason to worry about losing small screws or messing up the pieces. Just set it up on top of your existing desk, and you’re good to go.
Excellent Work Surface
This standing desk is perfect if you need a large workspace. It is two-tiered (monitor on top layer, and keyboard tray on bottom layer), and the surface has ample space for your office needs. You won’t have to move components around to make space for your keyboard and mouse for it has a separate deck for that. You can use a standard size keyboard and mouse, and you’ll still have ample space for mouse movement.
The most popular one is the Pro Plus 36, which is 36-inches in width space, but the Varidesk Pro Plus also comes with a 30-inch or 48-inch, depending on the size you require.
With the Pro Plus 36, the table should be able to accommodate a dual monitor setup, or a monitor and a laptop.
Two-tiered work space
One minor inconvenience people usually have to deal about in using a large two-tiered desk is that you may only have a certain amount of surface area for your monitor space. Especially in this case, the two-tiered Varidesk Pro Plus cuts into the surface.
As you can see the image shows a sky view of the desk with wireless keyboard, a laptop and a monitor. This is the perfect size for this work set up. If you require more more than what is show in the image, you’ll likely have an issue with space, and you’ll probably need to opt in for a larger footprint, such as the Varidesk Pro Plus 48″ or find a different standing desk converter that doesn’t have a cut on the surface area.
Construction, Mechanism and Design
Well-built and robust, the desk can hold up to 35 lbs of weight and remains stable even at its maximum extended height. It is stable and does not wobble even when you pound on your keyboard as you work.
Like all Varidesk standing desk models, the adjustment speed of the Pro Plus is satisfactory. The patented spring-lift mechanism and dual-handle design of the desk make adjusting the height simple and easy. You can switch from sitting to standing in just a matter of seconds.
However, some users complain about the difficulty in raising and lowering the desk when it is loaded with monitors and all desktop items. It becomes a little too heavy to lift, and the handles become slightly harder to squeeze and raise to standing position. You have to be careful, so the whole desk doesn’t come crashing down with all your stuff on it.
Size and Weight Capacity
The bigger the surface space for desktop items, the bigger the desk. Even if you manage to switch from a sitting to standing position, moving around the workspace would feel limiting. This means, your standard cubicle won’t cut it. You might want to rethink buying this desk if there is no way you can adjust the space of your actual office workspace.
Ergonomic Height Levels
It has 11 height settings that work for almost everyone. However, some users who are over 6 feet or those with longer arms find the maximum extended height of the desk to be a little unsatisfactory.
Price and Warranty
Everyone would agree that Varidesk is expensive compared to its rivals. It is probably the top most expensive brand of standing desk available on the market today.
With a company that provides top of the line products, you’ll also get a warranty with your product in case if anything goes wrong. You have a 30-day money back guarantee with Varidesk products, if you decide that this isn’t the right product for you.
Varidesk has a limited warranty replacement/returns within one year of purchase. Not the best warranty for a reputable product like Varidesk, but it’s the most common. Like any other products with a defect or a mechanical breakdown, Varidesk will replace at no cost.
Click here for information about Varidesk warranty and returns on their website.
Varidesk Pro Plus 36 Features
Here’s quick run down of the features that this Varidesk Pro Plus 36 has to offer:
- Two-tier design: upper display surface, lower keyboard/mouse deck
- Dual-monitor compatible
- Supports up to 35 lbs (15.88 kb)
- Spring-assisted lift
- 11 Height settings
- Lifts up and towards you
- Multiple colors: black, white, dark wood, butcher block
- Top surface measures: 36″ (W) x 12.25″ (D)
- Footprint measures: 36″ (W) x 29.75″ (D)
Is the Varidesk Pro Plus worth it?
The cons mentioned above are just minor and insignificant that can be overshadowed by the countless pros this desk converter has to offer.
Yes, the Varidesk Pro Plus is a little more expensive compared to its competitors, but it is a good value for your money. If you’re still concerned about the money, some of these Varidesk competitor and alternatives can be matched, and would cost you less than $200.
Of course we’re not trying to stray you away from the Varidesk, but we also understand that people have a budget, and wouldn’t need a equipment this expensive.
Many companies are proud of their commitment to quality even if it means that the price is a little bit higher than their competition. This is a good thing, because you know you’ll be paying for quality and the customer service that Varidesk provides.
A cheap standing desk quickly falls apart, which means, you either spend more for its repair or buy a new one. But once you buy right the first time, you’ll never have to replace your purchase or upgrade to the next best thing. You should invest in a high-quality products that could save you a lot of money in the long run, as well as gives you a better, and long-lasting experience.
This desk appeals to health-conscious professionals who spend most of their work hours sitting. While not without its flaws, Varidesk Pro Plus is undeniably top of the line. No one can dispute that they did not cut any corners when it comes to baseline quality. Most, if not all, who purchased the product are proud to back that statement up.
We are completely sold on this product and highly recommend it to anyone looking to switch or purchase their first standing desk.
Sources & References
You may also like:
- Top of the line, high-quality desk that is built to last.
- It comes fully assembled and ready to use.
- It is a two-tiered desk with a wide work surface.
- It has 11 ergonomic height level settings.
- This desk is big and probably not the best one for a small work cubicle.
- Users over 6 feet tall and those with longer arms complain about the maximum height of the desk.
- Adjusting from sitting to a standing position is challenging when the desk is loaded with all the desktop items including monitors.