When it comes to comparing Varidesk to other desk converter brands and its competitors, you’ll be able to find similar features of the Varidesk but at an alternative and affordable price. This article is to expose the best Varidesk alternatives and competitors so that you’ll have the option to find better and more budget-friendly standing desk converters.
To give you an idea, the Varidesk Pro Plus price ranges from a base value of $375 to $495, depending on the size of the desk. The price can get a lot higher if you’re going for a motorized converter vs the manual option. Even though we like the Varidesk brand, because of its reputation and service, we know there are other options for those trying to save a buck or two.
Before we begin with the list of Varidesk competitors, here are some of the similarity features these desks have to the list of alternatives below:
- Ability to use dual monitors or a monitor and a laptop
- Keyboard trays, two-tiered levels.
- Manually adjustable desk risers
- The depth of these Varidesk alternatives is greater than the Varidesk Pro Plus.
Best Varidesk Competitors
Ergotron WorkFit TL
Best Overall Sturdy Varidesk Alternative
- The Ergotron is 37.5″ wide and 23″ in depth, enough for a dual monitor setup or a large monitor and a laptop.
- Adjustable height from 5″ (lowest) to 20″ (highest).
- Requires two levers for adjustement.
- Goes straight up instead of towards you.
- Adjustments are smooth and quiet.
- Doesn’t wobble at the highest level.
- Overall favorite amongst all Varidesk alternative beause of its close similarities.
Fully Cooper Bamboo
Best Aesthetics Varidesk Competitor
- Bamboo finish – beautiful and aesthetically pleasing, great for design-conscience individuals.
- Supports up to 35-lbs.
- Ability to adjust from 6.25″ up to 22″ with a single squeeze paddle.
- Free motion, no preset levels.
- 36.6″ x 23″ desktop footprint.
- Beautiful alternative to the Varidesk brand.
Best Highly-Rated Competitor
- Comes with a keyboard tray, but can be removed if don’t like using it.
- Comes with a 5-year limited warranty
- It has 12 different adjustability levels
- The width is 35″, just one inch off from the Pro Plus 36″
- More affordable, but highly rated Varidesk competitor.
Best Amazon Brand Varidesk Challenger
- Utilizes the full surface area, doesn’t have any cutouts in the desk.
- The keyboard tray is as wide as the product for more space.
- Sold by Amazon, a reputable company which comes with a limited warranty or 30-day money back guarantee.
- The desk has a 15″ height range, from 5″ up to 20″.
- The width is 36″ and the depth is 23.7″.
- If you love Amazon brand, this has been the better alternative.
Budget-Friendly Varidesk Alternatives
The House of Trade 32
Best Overall Budget-Friendly Varidesk Alternative
- Comes with a retractable sliding keyboard tray – 24-inch width by 10.2-inch depth.
- Has 5 height levels, and can go from 6.5-inch to 16.3-inch(measured from your desk to top of the converter).
- Can supports 50 lbs of weight.
- Surface dimensions are 32.5-inch wide by 20.5-inch depth.
- Comes in multiple colors, black or white.
Best Varidesk Competitor Brand
- Has a stationary keyboard with measured 28″ width by 9″ in depth (more compact).
- Adjustable with eight present height levels from 6.5″ to 16″.
- Can support up 37.5 lbs of equipment.
- The Surface dimension is 36″ wide by 22″ depth.
- It has monitor mount capabilities and comes with cable organization.
- Uses a gas spring lift mechanism.
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
Best Affordable Single Level Varidesk Alternative Converter
- Footprint dimension is 24.5 inches wide by 16.8 inches depth.
- Can adjust to any level heights from 7 to 16 inches.
- 2.5″ from the table, on sitting position.
- Supports up to 27 lbs.
- Multiple colors: black, cherry, maple, white.
- Uses an innovative pump system to lift.
- No assembly is required.
- 30-days return, following Amazon’s refund policy.
- Only 2.5″ off the table, when sitting down.
Best Varidek Competitor With Large Surface
- Pull out keyboard tray with adjustable knob: 2″ W x 9.5″ D.
- Ability to adjust at any levels between 5″ to 17.5″.
- The converter can supports 33 lbs.
- The keyboard tray can support up to 4.5 lbs of equipment.
- Has an additional tablet or smartphone slot.
- Largest surface area dimension width 31.5″ wide by 24.5″ depth.
Varidesk Competitor Comparison Table
|Varidesk Alternative Desk Over $200||Min. Height||Max Height||Height Range||Weight Capacity (lbs)||*Price USD|
|Ergotron WorkFit||5″||20″||15″||40 lbs||$418|
|Fully Cooper Bamboo||6.25″||22″||15.75″||35 lbs||$325|
|FlexiSpot M2B||5.9″||19.7″||13.8″||35 lbs||$280|
|Varidesk Alternative Desk Under $200||Min. Height||Max Height||Height Range||Weight Capacity (lbs)||*Price USD|
|The House of Trade||6.5″||16″||9.5″||50 lbs||$188|
|Stand Steady X-Elite Pro||7″||16″||9″||20 lbs||$150|
*The price listed is what was displayed at the time of writing.
- Minimum Height – The minimum height is measured in inches, from the top of your existing desk to the most top of the converter when its at the most bottom level. This is when you’re most likely sitting down. Some of the larger height require spacing due to a two-tier (keyboard tray) level.
- Maximum Height – The maximum height is in inches, and it is measured at the highest level of the converter, presumably when you’re standing up.
- Height Range – The difference between the maximum height and minimum height. This gives you the number of how tall the desk converter can go.
- Weight Capacity (lbs) – This is how heavy the desk would be able to hold. Most laptops and monitors are way under the max weight capacity listed. To put it in perspective, the newest 27″ Apple iMac (2018) weights about 20.8 lbs.
- Price USD – This is how much the desks cost at the time of this writing. All prices are under $200 for those more on a budget.
Which Varidesk Alternative is the Best?
Based on our research and comparing other Varidesk alternatives, we think that the WorkFit-TL by Ergotron has gain superior over the Varidesk. While the Pro Plus pulls towards you, the WorkFit-TL goes straight up and down. There are a lto of other competing brands that goes straight up, however, the WorkFit is also the most stable.
If you want an x-frame with more surface area, and at a more affordable price, then we recommend you can pick up the FlexiSpot. But what about the design and aesthetics? Perhaps the Fully Cooper would do just fine then.
Whether you get either of these competing brands, we think that you’ll be happy with the purchase.
Varidesk Alternatives FAQ
Why is Varidesk Pro Plus expensive?
The Varidesk brand has been building to quality standing desk converters for a long time now, and it has gone through extensive testing to make it the most ergonomic converter on the market, however, because the company has built such a reputation with hiring top employees, building great customer service, and increased marketing efforts, it had forced them to raise prices on their products.
Now, there are smaller companies that are trying to mimic Varidesk’s success and using their standing desk converter as a template for building something similar. The desk converters listed in this article are great alternatives to the Varidesk, without breaking your bank.
Why did we choose these alternatives?
The first few desks are alternatives priced under $200, which is great for people who are looking for an ergonomic lifestyle without burning a hole in their wallet. The rest are great alternatives that someone might like because of the features it has. These desks were chosen to give a wide range of selection for everyone who comes to reading this and wanting to have a healthier lifestyle.
These alternative desks are have been best sellers and loved by so many satisfying customers.
Desk Advisor’s Varidesk Alternative Overview
With a lot of great alternatives on the market, there’s only a select few that we think are the best ones to choose from. These standing desk converters were chosen because of the positive feedback from hundreds of satisfying customers.
Note: We’ll be going over more Varidesk alternatives and competitors soon! Let us know in the comments below which converter desk you’d like us to review.
If you do decide on which alternative, please let us know!
Want more from Desk Advisor? You may also like to read:
- Varidesk Desk Converter Reviews
- Comparing Versa Power Pro vs Varidesk Stand Up Desk Converter
- Varidesk vs FlexiSpot Comparison
- Varidesk vs VIVO alternative