Do you find yourself having a sore back from long hours of sitting at your desk? The current trend we’re seeing is people are starting to convert from sitting to standing while still maintaining productivity. These standing desk converters, or sometimes called desk risers and toppers, can help ease a lot of your lower back pain and will get you to become active again.
A standing desk converter can come in a variety of sizes, shapes, pricing, and design. We’ve round-up the top-rated standing desk converters of 2019. We broke it down by type, specifications, stability, ergonomics, and much more.
What is a standing desk converter?
These so-called “standing desk converters,” or “height adjustable standing desk” is another office furniture that is placed on top of your standard height desk so you can go from a sitting position to a standing desk position. This type of furniture can convert an existing desk to standing desks, they’re very adjustable and can lift the workstation platform to certain heights based on how tall you are.
You will need a desk for these converters to work properly. There are different types of desks that can help you stand up, but these are typically the most convenient piece of office furniture if you want to keep your current desk.
Some of these desk converters are electric powered so you don’t have to waste energy to lift, but most are gas spring lift to assist you from lifting your computer equipment.
Why invest in a desk converter?
People who have little to no physical activity every day are more at risk of developing immediate and long-term health effects brought by their sedentary lifestyle. And this is more than the physical pain they feel when they sit too long. One way to combat long term health issues from working long hours at your desk is to invest in a standing desk converter.
According to recent studies, sitting is the new smoking. It means that people who sit for too long throughout the day are more prone to contracting serious illnesses such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer, even if they exercise regularly. Not only that, but it also impairs the cognitive functioning of the brain, which affects concentration, memory retention, and problem-solving skills.
Working while standing up has a lot of health benefits, and these height adjustable desk converters are an easy way to get you from a seated to a standing position within seconds. You’ll find a lot of different converters on the market, such as an electric standing desk versus manual standing desks (which is covered in this article), full versus sitting and standing converters, rising the desk frame towards you or vertically straight. Most of them are very similar, but we digest through most of the best sellers. You’ll want to know what the best office desk converter there is to offer.
Our process rating
We’ve reviewed a handful of these sit-to-stand converters but only a few have made it to the top of our list. Keep in mind that we’ll be going over manual standing desk converters, which are different than the motorized standing desks. These converters are placed on top of your existing desk so it can “convert” into a standing desk.
You’ll come across some that are adjusted upwards and some will be adjusted towards you. You’ll also come across different designs that will help with adjusting or lifting your monitor and/or work supplies. Some will be wobbly, some will be sturdy, and others will have some kind of limited warranty on it. The list will cover a wide range of details. You’ll also be able to get more in-depth reviews at the end of each product. We understand that everyone’s body is different and has a lot of different preferences, but our goal is to help you get a good understanding of the top desk converters currently on the market based on our analysis and other people’s overall reviews.
In order to provide you guys value for suggesting what we believe are the top-rated sit stand desk converters, we go through a specific list of in-depth criteria.
- Ergonomics – One of the main factors we look at is how ergonomic the sit-to-stand converters are. Having the incorrect monitor, keyboard, and mouse can cause more harm to you, have neck, back, and wrist pains. Although a lot of these desk converters are very similar from one another, there’s a lot of difference in design, the keyboard and desk size, shape, and lift mechanism.
- Type – Its good to understand what kind of sit stand converter fits your needs.
- Task Space – We like to assess whether there’s ample room for doing most of your tasks on the stand-up desk converters.
- Keyboard Space – Some sit to stand converters are two-tiered platforms, where there’s keyboard space, and we incorporate the space within our reviews. This gives customers more task space and is more efficient with their work.
- Material & Build Quality – The material and quality are important because we want to know how sturdy the product is. The better the materials used, the better the desk can withstand heavier loads.
- Stability/Sturdy – One of the most important decision factor, because a lot of the desk risers on the market can be unstable and wobbly – we wouldn’t want to pay top dollar for something that can’t handle a couple of monitors.
- Warranty & Customer Service – We wanted to throw this into the mix because we know how important customer service is if you’re having trouble with your standing desk converter.
- Ease of use/Adjustability – Some height adjustable desk converters have better adjustments than other and we’ve considered this in our rating because everyone’s height is different as well as their comfort level. We also look at how easy to adjust these best sit stand converters are.
- Value of Money – The last thing we looked at is if these highly-rated standing desk converters worth the price?
Best Standing Desk Converter (Updated for 2019)
Overall Best Standing Desk Converters
- It is a 37.5″ wide standing desk, and it can fit two 21″ monitors comfortably, the depth is 18.5″.
- Has 20 height settings to choose from, and raises from 5″ up to 20″, a 15″ difference, providing optimal monitor height levels.
- Comes with a keyboard tray for comfort and ergonomic purposes, has a dimension of 27.5″ width x 11″ depth.
- Ability to add a monitor mount on the converter to optimize space.
- This standing desk converter lifts straight up and down.
- Has padding on the legs to protect your existing desk.
- Often compared to the Varidesk Pro, easy to adjust and built with ergonomics in mind.
VersaDesk Power Pro
Best Electric Sit to Stand Desk Converter
- Comes with prebuilt cable management system for your computer wires.
- Has three standard 2″ grommet holes that can be used for either mounting monitors or organizing your electronic cables.
- Comes with multiple colors.
- Large keyboard tray for extra room, with 36″ wide and 24″ in depth.
- Can adjust the desktop from 5″ up to 20″ with a 15″ difference in height.
- Has an option with USB insert for charging your smart devices.
- An electric standing desk converter giving you easy way to adjust your monitor height.
Stand Steady FlexPro
Best One-Push Standing Desktop Converter Runner Up
- Smooth 13.5″ height transition from sitting to standing position, height ranges from 5.5″ to 19″.
- Wide 36″ work area with 16″ depth.
- Has cable hooks in the back to prevent your wires from tangling.
- Large 36″ width keyboard tray by 9.5″ depth.
Varidesk Pro Plus 36 Sit Stand Desk Converter
Best Desktop Converter Brand to Help Move from Sitting to Standing
- The Varidesk Pro is one of the best standing desk converters for existing desks.
- Varidesk is a reputable company that builds quality standing desks.
- Has a large keyboard space with 36″ in width and 9.5″ in depth.
- Ability to set up with multiple monitors or a laptop and a large 27″ monitor screen (iMac).
- Comes with multiple sizes and colors.
- Can adjust from 11 different height settings with 4.5″ up to 17.5″, a 13″ height difference.
- Supports up to 35 lbs (15.88 kg)
- The task area has plenty of room for accessories, 36″ width by 12.25″ depth, but with a small cutout in the middle.
- Fully assembled height adjustable standing desk converter.
Best Highly-Rated Standing Desk Converter
- Uses single handle design for a straight up and down lift with 12 different height levels.
- Can support up to 35 lbs (15.88 kg).
- One of the larger work surface area with 35″ width and 31.5″ depth.
- Keyboard dimensions: 35″ W x 12.2″ D.
- Height adjustable standing desk: 5.9″ to 19.7″ (13.8″ Diff).
- No assembly required and works straight out of the box.
- Auto locks in place of the standing height.
VIVO Desk-V000B Sit-to-Stand Converter
Best Affordable & Easy to Use Standing Desk Converters
- There are predrilled holes for monitor mount.
- Comes with cable clips to keep all your cords organized.
- Keyboard dimensions: 28″ W x 9″ D.
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 12.2″ D
- Height adjustable standing desk: 6.5″ to 16″ (9.5″ Diff)
- Eight different height adjustments with 37.5 lbs of weight lift capacity for your work equipment.
Fully Cooper Bamboo Desk
Best Design Stand Up Desk Converter
- Designed to lift the desktop straight up and down instead of towards you.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36.6″ W x 23″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 28″ W x 11″ D
- Height Adjustment: 6.25″ to 22″ (15.75″ Diff)
Eureka Ergonomic V1 Height Adjustable Standing Desk Converter
Best Sturdy & Full Motion Standing Desk Converter
- No preset heights, allows a full smooth transition from sitting to standing at any height desired.
- Has a smart device slot on the keyboard tray instead of the main work surface area.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 17″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 15.75″ D
- Height Adjustment: 5.75″ to 20″ (14.5″ Diff)
The House of Trade Office Desk Converter Riser
Best Value Standing Desk Converter
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 17″ D.
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 15.75″ D.
- Height Adjustments: 5.5″ to 20″ (14.5″ Diff).
- Supports up to 50 lbs of weight.
- Has five different height levels.
- Uses a dual squeeze handle.
- Has a sliding keyboard tray.
DeskDoc Standing Desk Converter with Mat
Best Sit-to-Stand Converter with Mat Pair
- Comes with a free anti-fatigue mat.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 11″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 22″ D
- Height Adjustments: 7.25″ to 16.5″ (9.25″ Diff)
- Supports up to 35 lbs lift capacity.
- Has an extra slot that is designed for a smart device.
- Uses gas spring lift mechanism.
Best High Quality Post and Keyboard Converter
- Uses very minimal footprint, perfect for small spaces.
- Easily lifts keyboard and LCD screens to the proper height with one touch using Ergotron’s patented lift technology.
- The keyboard is ergonomic with a back-tilt setting.
- Can fold keyboard up and swing arm and monitors out of the way when you need your table work surface.
Victor High Rise
Best High Quality Post and Base Desk Converter Running Up
- Doesn’t use a clamp or mount, but instead uses padded steel plate.
- Easy one-touch lift technology, from sitting and standing in no time.
- Includes a side by side monitor mount giving you ability to mount two monitors up to 25″ wide, with 12.5 lbs each.
VIVO 25″ Desk Riser
Best Two-Tier Post and Base Converter
- Single squeeze gas spring lift system, adjusts from 5 to 16 inches.
- Task space measuring 25″ width by 18″ depth.
- Dual tier design that has a lower 25″ by 10″ keyboard tray with 17.6 lbs lift capacity.
- Comes with 3 year manufacturer warranty and friendly tech support for any questions or concerns.
Stand Steady X-Elite Pro 28 Standing Desk Converter
Best Single Stand Up Desk Platform Converter
- Single-tier design (no keyboard tray)
- Supports up to 20 lbs
- Lifts straight up and down
- Pump assist lift
- No assembly required works straight out of the box.
- 7″ to 16″ inch of height settings
- Dimensions: 28″ (W) x 20″ (D)
Workstation conversion comparison table
In order to get a clearer picture of the sit-stand desk converter specs, we’ve put together this side by side table so you can see which best desk conversion table is best for you.
The units of measurements are in the standard metric system, feet, and inches.
- Height range (inches) – This measurement is given from the height of the table to the top of the desk
- Desk width (inches) – Most of our desk is measured at a standard of 36″ wide. This is a typical base width for standing desk converters. Although, there are options to get wider desk, but would cost a lot more too.
- Desk depth (inches) – This depth refers to the top level of the measurable desk space, excluding any additional measurements such as the keyboard. It only accounts for the longest measurement space.
- Tray width (inches) – This is where your keyboard and mouse go. This measurement is reported by the manufacturer.
- Tray depth (inches) – Similar to the depth of the desk, this measures the depth of the keyboard tray. Keep in mind, some stand up desktop converters have different keyboard tray shapes, but this measurement is typically measured from the overall measurable space.
- Price ($USD) – This is the current price of the desk found on the market place, in U.S Dollars.
|Desk||Height Range||Desk Width||Desk Depth||Tray Width||Tray Depth||Price USD|
|VersaDesk Power Pro||15″||36″||24″||36″||10″||$350|
|Stand Steady FlexPro||13.5″||36″||16″||36″||9.5″||$300|
|Varidesk Pro Plus 36||13″||36″||12.25″||36″||9.5″||$395|
|Eureka Ergonomic V1||14.25″||36″||22″||36″||17″||$369|
|The House of Trade||10″||32″||20.5″||24″||10″||$180|
|Victor High Rise||20″||28″||23″||–||–||$400|
|Stand Steady X-Elite Pro||13.5″||28″||20″||–||–||$180|
There are so many different types of height adjustable standing desks nowadays, we like to point them out for you. Once you’re done with this section, you’ll be able to get a better understanding of what’s out there, and hopefully, you’ll find one that is more fitting for your lifestyle and ergonomics.
Keep in mind, these are converters for your existing desk. These are not full standing desks where your entire desktop is lifted from a sitting to standing position.
Types of Standing Desk Converters
Standing desk converter manufacturers have evolved throughout the years, and we’ve always been up to date with the latest styles. We’ll constantly change the list as the market adopts newer forms of designs. You can count on us with these updates.
Double X Frame Design
This type of desk converter raises your monitor and keyboard without swinging towards you, which it won’t encroach into your workspace. It doesn’t have preset heights such as the Z Design you’ll see below. This means that the height can be infinitely adjusted depending on your preferred height for optimal ergonomics.
Single X Frame Design
This one is similar to the double x design, however, this one only has one x shaped metal arm that’s connected whereas the double x design has two separate metal arms that require two levers to adjust both sides to have equal heights. The single allows you to only use one hand to adjust.
Z Frame Design
This has been popular amongst many standing desk converters, such as the Varidesk, which have been making these types of designs for a long time. This converter lifts while bringing the table towards you, causing it to arch into your workspace. These types of converters have preset heights which can be limited on some users.
Floating or Free Arm Desk Converter
This design saves you more desk space than the Post and Base converter, because its only being supported by an arm that is strong enough to clamp on to your desk. However, if you have a really heavy monitor, we suggest you stay away from this type of design.
DIY Standing Desk Conversion
This is usually the least expensive, a “do it yourself” type and it can be anything simple to just prop up on your desk, but supportive enough to hold your monitor and keyboard (and anything else you need). If you don’t want to invest too much into a full standing desk converter, this could be a great option to get you started.
Electric Standing Desk Converter
If you’re not fond of manually adjusting your standing desk converter, there are electrical standing desk options where it’ll give you free range of motion and at the same time allow you to adjust infinitely from base to its max height with a simple push of a button. Although this type is a little bit pricier than the other designs, we think that overall health and ergonomic outweighs the price. Some electric standing desks converters are very convenient with memory control. Most electric standing height converters are typically full standing desks, but you’ll find some existing desk converter brands that makes these options.
Benefits of a standing desk converter
There is some truth to the saying, “thinking on your feet.” Standing from time to time not only relieves back and leg pains, but it also enhances focus and critical thinking skills. If you want to avoid all these risks or if you are prone to back pains, consider switching to the standing desk instead. The idea behind it is simple, but the benefits are immeasurable.
- Reduces the risk of contracting long-term health problems – You can choose to take the healthier route by getting yourself out of that chair. As mentioned, you can avoid the bad side effects of having a sedentary lifestyle simply by switching to a standing desk.
- Increases life expectancy – The rise of mortality rate is always related to diseases such as cardiovascular problems, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and high blood sugar levels. If you can reduce your chances of developing any of these diseases, you have a shot of living a longer life.
- Boosts productivity – Ever wonder why people walk and phase when they think? It is because of walking and phasing around help in the thinking process. It Increases focus, concentration, and problem-solving skills, which boost productivity.
- Enhances posture – It is a smart decision to use a standing desk if you want to reduce back pain, eye damage, and enhance your posture. Standing alone enhances a person’s core strength, which leads to a better posture. Just make sure that the standing desk suits the level you’re comfortable to avoid slouching as you work.
- Enhances mood and energy level – A healthy lifestyle brings about positive psychological effects. Ultimately, if you are healthy, your mood is almost always positive, and your energy level is high. This allows you to accomplish more, thus increases your productivity.
If you like to learn more, check out the 40 health benefits of using a standing desk.
Which stand up desk converter brand is the best?
There are many brands on the market right now, such as Varidesk, VIVO, FlexiSpot, Ergotron, and even Amazon is getting into this market. We’ve gone through the top converters and have accounted for the brand’s customer service and warranty. We think that the brands that we’ve listed here are one of the highly-rated brands on the market, and you won’t be disappointed with any of the choices you make.
Should I get one with flexible monitor arms?
If you are looking to buy a standing desk that offers you more flexibility by having an option to adjust your monitor to your preferred height, viewing depths, orientation, and angle to avoid straining your eyes and enhance your visual performance, get one with adjustable monitor arms.
Is a keyboard mouse tray necessary?
This is also based on your preferences. It is unnecessary provided the desk accommodates your height requirements that you can work comfortably while seated or standing. If you feel that there is a mismatch between the desk height and the comfortable elbow height, getting a keyboard tray may be useful.
It can be purchased as a combined unit or in separate pieces. You should consider the size of your workspace. The bigger your workspace, the more options you have. You can choose to have a keyboard tray with a longer arm so you can pull it out in the most comfortable way.
There are sit-stand keyboard trays available in the market today. These keyboards allow users to shift from seated to standing position easily. But these don’t always work because they don’t always fit the right anthropometric measurement of users. These are just options. You still have to do your research and make sure that the keyboard has all the necessary features.
What kind of keyboard tray to look for
- The adjustable height of the keyboard tray should be adjustable by at least 4 inches.
- Tilt can be adjusted by at least 15 degrees.
- The tray should not jiggle/shake when pressure is applied. It should be sturdy enough.
- Consider the measurement of your workspace. Your thigh and knee should not bump into any lever or knobs.
- A thin keyboard that is no more than ½ inch is better
- You should be able to raise or lower its height without using a knob
- One that has a particular mouse platform is a good choice. The width should be enough to accommodate both the mouse and keyboard at the same height.
Is footrest necessary?
Like the keyboard tray, a footrest may not be necessary provided the height adjustment of your standing desk is comfortable for you. However, a footrest can be useful if you feel like you’re a little shorter where your elbows aren’t at a correct angle. If you are standing, you can avoid standing fatigued by putting the pressure of each of your foot alternately on the footrest or padding.
Should I get an ergonomic chair still?
If you plan to stand the whole day and not rest then maybe you don’t need one. But this is not a healthy practice. You still need a chair for when you need to sit down and rest your legs and back. Your chair doesn’t have to be expensive and too comfortable that you’d be tempted to sit all day and succumb to a sedentary lifestyle.
Should I use a wellness anti-fatigue floor mat?
It is unnecessary but if you want to be more comfortable working in a standing position, cushy mats and anti-fatigue mats are an excellent add-on to your workspace.
What are the benefits of a standing desk converter?
We get this a lot, there are a lot of great benefits of using a standing desk for office. One reason is that it’ll help with your posture and reduce stress on your lower back. Often enough your lower back is stressed because of sitting at a desk for hours at a time. There are ways to prevent back pain even without a standing desk, such as getting an ergonomic chair that fits your body or using a zero-gravity chair to help make you feel relaxed.
However, another benefit of a standing desk converter is that standing while working helps you feel more energized because you’re putting your legs at work. You can learn more of the benefits here.
Should I get a motorized or manual sit-to-stand desk converter?
This is more of a preference. A manual converter allows you to raise the desk at a faster rate than an electric one. With an electric, you’re also going to have to eventually worry about the motor from wear and tear.
One great benefit of a motorized sit to stand converter is that you’re able to adjust at any height level, so you won’t have to assume that a converter you choose will be the perfect ergonomic level. However, one thing to keep in mind is that some manual desk converters allow you to adjust the height without presets, but most already do.
New to using a desk converter?
You can ease into working while standing – You don’t need to force yourself to stand all day, and we don’t recommend it. Remember, try to sit for 20 minutes and then stand for 20. You can work your way up to these intervals if needed.
Don’t forget to stretch – Sometimes you’ll need to stretch a few times, but that’s so great about having a stand-up desk because you’re already in a standing position.
Look into leaning – There are chairs that are designed for your stand up desks, and most of them will have a footrest where you can lean on it. These desk stools are probably the best option, once you think you’ll be able to handle standing for long periods of time.
Invest in standing desk mat can help with fatigue – An anti-fatigue mat can really help with being tired at the office. These mats are designed specifically for standing desks, and they’ll keep your legs from hurting. There are ones that are non-flat so it’ll encourage you to constantly move your legs.
Desk Advisor’s final thoughts
We have decided that the overall best standing desk converter for your office furniture is the Ergotron WorkFit-TL. Its excellent features, quality, and construction trumps all other desks of its kind. People who bought it swear by it and do not regret their decision. A little bit more expensive than others, but we stand by our belief that you always get what you paid for. On top of that, Varidesk has been around for some time, so you could assume that the company is reputable with better customer service than competitors.
It is time to stop the sedentary lifestyle and reap the benefits of standing while working. Not only that you’ll notice a huge difference in your health and energy levels, but you’ll also increase your productivity and job performance.
With all the health benefits of switching to a sit to stand desk mentioned above, and a roundup of some of the best desk converters available on the market today, choosing the one that perfectly suits your needs is now a breeze.
However, if you’re not convinced at spending money on any of the adjustable sit-to-stand converters, you can get your feet wet by building a DIY stand up desk converter, but it would be more of a fixed height than an easily adjustable height system, but it’ll get you started with the sit-stand workstation lifestyle.
Like what you read here at Desk Advisor? You may also like:
Sources and References:
- Sedentary Time and Its Association With Risk for Disease Incidence, Mortality, and Hospitalization in Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis – annals.org
- Too Much Sitting and Chronic Disease Risk: Steps to Move the Science Forward – annals.org
- Diabetes: Yet another reason to get out of that chair – cnn.com