Standing desk converters are an easy way to get you from sitting to standing in only a few seconds. We’ve reviewed a handful of these sit-to-stand table top converters but only a few have made it to the top of our list. Keep in mind that standing desk converters are different than motorized standing desks, where the converters are placed on top of your existing desk so you can “convert” into standing position while still maintaining productivity.
You’ll come across some that are adjusted upwards and some will be adjusted towards you. You’ll also come across different designs that will help with adjusting or lifting your monitor or supplies. Some will be wobbly, some will be sturdy, and others will have some kind of limited warranty on it. The list will cover a wide range of details. You’ll also be able to get more in-depth reviews at the end of each product. We understand that everyone’s body is different and has a lot of different preferences, but our goal is to help you get a good understanding of the top standing desk converters on the market based on our analysis and other people’s overall reviews.
Our analysis is based on the work surface area, how sturdy it can handle your monitor and equipment, the adjustability, ease of use and quality.
These reviews are in no particular order. Scroll to the bottom to see our overall pick.
Best Standing Desk Converters in 2019
Best Overall Standing Desk Converter
- It is a 37.5″ wide standing desk, and it can fit two 21″ monitors comfortably, the depth is 18.5″.
- Has 20 height settings to choose from, and raises from 5″ up to 20″, a 15″ difference.
- Comes with a keyboard tray for comfort and ergonomic purposes, has a dimension of 27.5″ width x 11″ depth.
- Ability to add a monitor mount for space saving on the surface area.
VersaDesk Power Pro
Best Electric Standing Desk Converter
- Comes with prebuilt cable management system for your computer wires.
- Has three standard 2″ grommet holes that can be used for either mounting monitors or organizing your electronic cables.
- Comes with multiple colors.
- Large keyboard space for extra room, with 36″ wide and 24″ in depth.
- Can adjust the desk from 5″ up to 20″ with a 15″ difference in height.
- Has an option with USB insert for charging your smart devices.
Stand Steady FlexPro
Best Electric Standing Desk Converter Runner Up
- Smooth 13.5″ height transition from sitting to standing position, height ranges from 5.5″ to 19″.
- Wide 36″ work area with 16″ depth.
- Has cable hooks in the back to prevent your wires from tangling.
- Large 36″ width keyboard space by 9.5″ depth.
Varidesk Pro Plus 36 Standing Desk Converter
Best Standing Desk Converter Brand
- Varidesk is a reputable company that builds quality standing desks.
- Has a large keyboard space with 36″ in width and 9.5″ in depth.
- Ability to set up with two monitors or a laptop and a large 27″ monitor screen (iMac).
- Comes with multiple sizes and colors.
- Can adjust from 11 different height settings with 4.5″ up to 17.5″, a 13″ height difference.
- Supports up to 35 lbs (15.88 kg)
- The task area space is 36″ width by 12.25″ depth but with a small cutout in the middle.
Best Highly-Rated Standing Desk Converter
- Uses single handle design for a straight up and down lift with 12 different height levels.
- Can support up to 35 lbs (15.88 kg).
- One of the larger surface area for work with 35″ width and 31.5″ depth.
- Keyboard dimensions: 35″ W x 12.2″ D.
- Height Adjustments: 5.9″ to 19.7″ (13.8″ Diff).
- No assembly required and works straight out of the box.
- Auto locks in place of the standing height.
VIVO Desk-V000B Sit-to-Stand Converter
Best Standing Stool for Active Sitting
- There are predrilled holes for monitor mount.
- Comes with cable clips to keep all your cords organized.
- Keyboard dimensions: 28″ W x 9″ D.
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 12.2″ D
- Height Adjustments: 6.5″ to 16″ (9.5″ Diff)
- Eight different height adjustments with 37.5 lbs of weight capacity for your work equipment.
Fully Cooper Bamboo Desk
Best Design Stand Up Desk Converter
- Designed to lift the desk straight up and down instead of towards you.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36.6″ W x 23″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 28″ W x 11″ D
- Height Adjustments: 6.25″ to 22″ (15.75″ Diff)
Eureka Ergonomic Gen2 Converter
Best Sturdy & Full Motion Standing Desk Converter
- No preset heights, allows a full smooth transition from sitting to standing at any height desired.
- Has a smart device slot on the keyboard tray instead of main surface area.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 17″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 15.75″ D
- Height Adjustments: 5.5″ to 20″ (14.5″ Diff)
The House of Trade Stand Up Desk Converter Riser
Best Value Stand Up Desk Converter
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 17″ D.
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 15.75″ D.
- Height Adjustments: 5.5″ to 20″ (14.5″ Diff).
- Supports up to 50 lbs of weight.
- Has five different height levels.
- Uses a dual squeeze handle.
- Has a sliding keyboard tray.
DeskDoc Standing Desk Converter with Mat
Best Sit-to-Stand Converter with Mat Pair
- Comes with a free anti-fatigue mat.
- Keyboard dimensions: 36″ W x 11″ D
- Task Space dimensions: 36″ W x 22″ D
- Height Adjustments: 7.25″ to 16.5″ (9.25″ Diff)
- Supports up to 35 lbs capacity.
- Has an extra slot that is designed for a smart device.
- Uses gas spring lift mechanism.
Best High Quality Post and Keyboard Converter
- Uses very minimal footprint.
- Easily lifts keyboard and LCD screens to the proper height with one touch using Ergotron’s patented lift technology.
- The keyboard is ergonomic with a back-tilt setting.
- Can fold keyboard up and swing arm and monitors out of the way when you need your desk surface.
Victor High Rise
Best High Quality Post and Base Desk Converter Running Up
- Doesn’t use a clamp or mount, but instead uses padded steel plate.
- Easy one touch lift technology, from sitting to standing in no time.
- Includes a dual monitor mount giving you ability to mount two monitors up to 25″ wide, with 12.5 lbs each.
VIVO 25″ Desk Riser
Best Two-Tier Post and Base Converter
- Single squeeze gas spring lift system, adjusts from 5 to 16 inches.
- Task space measuring 25″ width by 18″ depth.
- Dual tier design that has a lower 25″ by 10″ keyboard and mouse tray with 17.6 lbs capacity.
- Comes with 3 year manufacturer warranty and friendly tech support for any questions or concerns.
Stand Steady X-Elite Pro 28 Standing Desk Converter
Best Single Platform Standing Desk Converter
- Single-tier design (no keyboard tray)
- Supports up to 20 lbs
- Lifts straight up and down
- pump assist lift
- No assembly required works straight out of the box.
- 7″ to 16″ inch of height settings
- Dimensions: 28″ (W) x 20″ (D)
How Are The Stand Up Desk Converters Rated
- Type – Its good to understand what kind of stand up desk converter fits your needs.
- Task Space – We like to assess whether there’s ample room for doing most of your tasks on the stand-up desk converters.
- Keyboard Space – Some sit to stand converters are two-tiered platforms, where there’s keyboard space, and we incorporate the space within our reviews. This gives customers more task space and is more efficient with their work.
- Material & Build Quality – The material and quality are important because we want to know how sturdy the product is. The better the materials used, the better the desk can withstand heavier loads.
- Value of Money – We wanted to find the top standing desk converters for all price ranges and see how it lives up to its value. “We get what we paid for.”
- Stability/Sturdy – One of the most important decision factor, because a lot of the desk risers on the market can be unstable and wobbly – we wouldn’t want to pay top dollar for something that can’t handle a couple of monitors.
- Warranty & Customer Service – We wanted to throw this into the mix because we know how important customer service is if you’re having trouble with your standing desk converter.
- Ease of use/Adjustability – Some standing desk converters have better adjustments than other and we’ve considered this in our rating because everyone’s height is different as well as their comfort level.
- Ergonomics – Other important criteria (I guess by now, these criteria used are all important at some degree) we had to consider and which is why most of us decide to buy a standing desk converter. Having the incorrect monitor, keyboard, and mouse can cause more harm to you, creating neck, back, and shoulder pains.
Common Standing Desk Converter Design Types
There are so many different types of standing desks nowadays, we like to point them out for you. Once you’re done with this section, you’ll be able to get a better understanding of what’s out there, and hopefully, you’ll find one that is more fitting for your lifestyle and ergonomics.
Types of Standing Desk Converters
Standing desk converter manufacturers have evolved throughout the years, and we’ve always been up to day with the latest styles. We’ll constantly change the list as the market adopts newer forms of designs. You can count on us with these updates.
Adjustable Double X Design
This type of desk converter raises your monitor and keyboard without swinging towards you, which it won’t encroach into your workspace. It doesn’t have preset heights such as the Z Design you’ll see below. This means that the height can be infinitely adjusted depending on your preferred height for optimal ergonomic.
Adjustable Single X Design
This one is similar to the double x design, however this one only has one x shaped metal arm that’s connected where as the double x design has two separate metal arms that require two levers to adjust both sides to have equal heights. The single allows you to only use one hand to adjust.
Adjustable Z Design
This has been popular amongst many standing desk converters, such as the Varidesk, which have been making these types of designs for a long time. This converter lifts while bringing the table towards you, causing it to arch into your work space. These types of converters have preset heights which can be limited on some users.
Floating or Free Arm Desk Converter
This design saves you more desk space than the Post and Base converter, because its only being supported by an arm that is strong enough to clamp on to your desk. However, if you have a really heavy monitor, we suggest you stay away from this type of design.
DIY Desktop Raiser
This is usually the least expensive, a “do it yourself” type and it can be anything simple to just prop up on your desk, but supportive enough to hold your monitor and keyboard (and anything else you need). If you don’t want to invest too much into a full standing desk converter, this could be a great option to get you started.
Electric Standing Desk Converter
If you’re not fond of manually adjusting your standing desk converter, there are electrical options where it’ll give you free range of motion and allow you to adjust infinitely from base to its max height. Although this type is a little bit pricier than the other designs, we think that overall health and ergonomic outweighs the price.
Why Use a Standing Desk Converter?
People who have little to no physical activity every day are more at risk of developing immediate and long-term health effects brought by their sedentary lifestyle. And this is more than the physical pain they feel when they sit too long. One way to combat long term health issues from working long hours at your desk is to invest in a standing desk converter.
According to recent studies, sitting is the new smoking. It means that people who sit for too long throughout the day are more prone to contracting serious illnesses such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer, even if they exercise regularly. Not only that, but it also impairs the cognitive functioning of the brain, which affects concentration, memory retention, and problem-solving skills.
Next time you’re at your office desk, standing a few minutes every 30 minutes can be really beneficial.
Working while standing up has a lot of health benefits, and these stand up desk converters are an easy way to get you from a seated to a standing position within seconds. You’ll find a lot of different converters on the market, such as an electric standing desk versus manual standing desks (which is covered in this article), full versus sit to stand converters, rising the desk frame towards you or vertically straight. Most of them are very similar, but we digest through most of the best sellers. You’ll want to know what the best stand up desk converter there is to offer.
Benefits of Standing
There is some truth to the saying, “thinking on your feet.” Standing from time to time not only relieves back and leg pains, but it also enhances focus and critical thinking skills. If you want to avoid all these risks or if you are prone to back pains, consider switching to the standing desk instead. The idea behind it is simple, but the benefits are immeasurable.
- Reduces the risk of contracting long-term health problems – You can choose to take the healthier route by getting yourself out of that chair. As mentioned, you can avoid the bad side effects of having a sedentary lifestyle simply by switching to a standing desk.
- Increases life expectancy – The rise of mortality rate is always related to diseases such as cardiovascular problems, obesity, diabetes, cancer, and high blood sugar levels. If you can reduce your chances of developing any of these diseases, you have a shot of living a longer life.
- Boosts productivity – Ever wonder why people walk and phase when they think? It is because of walking and phasing around help in the thinking process. It Increases focus, concentration, and problem-solving skills, which boost productivity.
- Enhances posture – It is a smart decision to use a standing desk if you want to reduce back pain, eye damage, and enhance your posture. Standing alone enhances a person’s core strength, which leads to a better posture. Just make sure that the standing desk suits the level you’re comfortable to avoid slouching as you work.
- Enhances mood and energy level – A healthy lifestyle brings about positive psychological effects. Ultimately, if you are healthy, your mood is almost always positive, and your energy level is high. This allows you to accomplish more, thus increases your productivity.
If you like to learn more, check out the 40 health benefits of using a standing desk.
Should I get one with flexible monitor arms?
If you are looking to buy a standing desk that offers you more flexibility by having an option to adjust your monitor to your preferred height, viewing depths, orientation, and angle to avoid straining your eyes and enhance your visual performance, get one with adjustable monitor arms.
Is a keyboard mouse tray necessary?
This is also based on your preferences. It is unnecessary provided the desk accommodates your height requirements that you can work comfortably while seated or standing. If you feel that there is a mismatch between the desk height and the comfortable elbow height, getting a keyboard tray may be useful.
It can be purchased as a combined unit or in separate pieces. You should consider the size of your workspace. The bigger your workspace, the more options you have. You can choose to have a keyboard tray with a longer arm so you can pull it out in the most comfortable way.
There are sit-stand keyboard trays available in the market today. These keyboards allow users to shift from seated to standing position easily. But these don’t always work because they don’t always fit the right anthropometric measurement of users. These are just options. You still have to do your research and make sure that the keyboard has all the necessary features.
What kind of keyboard tray to look for
- The adjustable height of the keyboard tray should be adjustable by at least 4 inches.
- Tilt can be adjusted by at least 15 degrees.
- The tray should not jiggle/shake when pressure is applied. It should be sturdy enough.
- Consider the measurement of your workspace. Your thigh and knee should not bump into any lever or knobs.
- A thin keyboard that is no more than ½ inch is better
- You should be able to raise or lower its height without using a knob
- One that has a particular mouse platform is a good choice. The width should be enough to accommodate both the mouse and keyboard at the same height.
Is a footrest necessary?
Like the keyboard tray, a footrest is unnecessary provided the height adjustment of your standing desk is comfortable for you. However, a footrest is useful if you are short. If you are standing, you can avoid standing fatigue by putting the pressure of each of your foot alternately on the footrest.
Is a chair still necessary?
If you plan to stand the whole day and not rest then maybe you don’t need one. But this is not a healthy practice. You still need a chair for when you need to sit down and rest your legs and back. Your chair doesn’t have to be expensive and too comfortable that you’d be tempted to sit all day and succumb to a sedentary lifestyle.
Should I use a wellness anti-fatigue floor mat?
It is unnecessary but if you want to be more comfortable working in a standing position, cushy mats and anti-fatigue mats are an excellent add-on to your workspace.
New to Standing Desk Converters?
You can ease into working while standing
You don’t need to force yourself to stand all day, and we don’t recommend it. Remember, try to sit for 20 minutes and then stand for 20. You can work your way up to these intervals if needed.
Don’t forget to stretch also
Sometimes you’ll need to stretch a few times, but that’s so great about having a stand-up desk because you’re already in a standing position.
Look into leaning
There are chairs that are designed for your stand up desks, and most of them will have a footrest where you can lean on it. These desk stools are probably the best option, once you think you’ll be able to handle standing for long periods of time.
Invest in standing desk mat can help with fatigue
An anti-fatigue mat can really help with being tired at the office. These mats are designed specifically for standing desks, and they’ll keep your legs from hurting. There are ones that are non-flat so it’ll encourage you to constantly move your legs.
What are the benefits of a standing desk converter?
We get this a lot, there are a lot of great benefits of using a standing desk. One reason is that it’ll help with your posture and reduce stress on your lower back. Often enough your lower back is stressed because of sitting at a desk for hours at a time. There are ways to prevent back pain even without a standing desk, such as getting an ergonomic chair that fits your body or using a zero-gravity chair to help make you feel relaxed.
However, another benefit of a standing desk converter is that standing while working helps you feel more energized because you’re putting your legs at work. You can learn more of the benefits here.
Should I get a motorized or manual stand up desk converter?
This is more of a preference. A manual converter allows you to raise the desk at a faster rate than an electric one. With an electric, you’re also going to have to eventually worry about the motor from wear and tear.
One great benefit of a motorized sit to stand converter is that you’re able to adjust at any height level, so you won’t have to assume that a converter you choose will be the perfect ergonomic level. However, one thing to keep in mind is that some manual desk converters allow you to adjust the height without presets, but most already do.
Desk Advisor’s Standing Desk Converter Overview
We have decided that the overall best standing desk converter for your office furniture is the Ergotron WorkFit-TL. Its excellent features, quality, and construction trumps all other desks of its kind. People who bought it swear by it and do not regret their decision. A little bit more expensive than others but we stand by our belief that you always get what you paid for. On top of that, Varidesk has been around for some time, so you could assume that the company is reputable with better customer service than competitors.
It is time to stop the sedentary lifestyle and reap the benefits of standing while working. Not only that you’ll notice a huge difference in your health and energy levels, but you’ll also increase your productivity and job performance.
With all the health benefits of switching to a standing desk mentioned above, and a roundup of some of the best standing desk converters available on the market today, choosing the one that perfectly suits your needs is now a breeze.
However, if you’re not convinced at spending money on any of the adjustable sit-to-stand converters, you can get your feet wet by building a DIY stand up desk converter, but it would be more of a fixed height than an easily adjustable height system, but it’ll get you started with the sit-stand workstation lifestyle.
Like what you read here at Desk Advisor? You may also like:
Sources and References:
- Sedentary Time and Its Association With Risk for Disease Incidence, Mortality, and Hospitalization in Adults: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis – annals.org
- Too Much Sitting and Chronic Disease Risk: Steps to Move the Science Forward – annals.org
- Diabetes: Yet another reason to get out of that chair – cnn.com