Table of Contents
We know that having a stand-up desk lifestyle can be very expensive, and finding the right one can be daunting. The Varidesk brand has been one of the top leading standing desk brands on the market, but a lot of people don’t want to commit to expensive office equipment if they never tried it. This article is to help you look for a budget-friendly Varidesk alternative so you can get start standing!
We’re here to help people convert from a sit to stand lifestyle without breaking their wallet.
We’ll first go over 5 of the best Varidesk alternative standing desk converters, then we’ll it’ll break out into more premium Varidesk alternatives for you to choose from.
We have compiled the four highly rated stand up desk converter Varidesk Pro Plus alternatives that you can afford, just under $200.
To give you an idea, the Varidesk Pro Plus price ranges from a base value of $375 to $495, depending on the size of the desk. The price can get a lot higher, if you’re going for an electric converter vs the manual options that we’re comparing. Even thought we like the brand, we know there are other options for the money savers. To be honest, Varidesk price tag is pretty hefty, if you ask me.
So, before we begin with the list of Varidesk competitors, here are some of the similarity features these desks have to the list of alternatives below:
- Ability to use dual monitors or a monitor and a laptop
- Keyboard trays, two-tiered levels.
- Manual adjustable desk risers
- The depth of these Varidesk alternatives is greater than the Varidesk Pro Plus.
Best 5 Varidesk Alternative Desks Without Breaking The Bank – Under $200
The House of Trade – 32″ Wide with retraceable keyboard
The House of Trade is another great Varidesk alternative if the price was an issue, with a strong wood and steel build to the frame. The quality for the price allows you to feel like you’ve purchased a piece of expensive office equipment.
The keyboard tray is also retractable, which can be good for those that need a little bit more adjustment towards their ergonomics. A lot of standing desks does not have such a feature.
This desk riser’s lever is also very similar to the Varideks Pro Plus, using a spring loaded boost so you can easily go from a sitting to standing with ease.
What makes the House of Trade DeskRiser stand out?
- Retractable sliding keyboard tray – 24-inch W x 10.2-inch D
- 5 height levels, 6.5-inch to 16.3-inch
- Supports 50 lbs weight
- Surface dimensions: 32.5-inch W x 20.5-inch D
- Available in black or white
- Material: wood and steel frame
For a full review: The House of Trade Standing Desk Riser Review
VIVO – Similar to the Varidesk just a different brand
The VIVO standing desk converter has eight different height levels you can choose, from 6.5″ to 16″ tall. This may limit some people, but it can give the user an easier way to get from an sit to a standing position.
VIVO is a good competitor to Varidesk’s alternative standing desk if you’re looking for something basic and nothing too fancy on your stand up desk. The company has a 1-year warranty, which some may require if they may have some issues with their stand up desk.
What makes the VIVO stand out?
- Stationary Keyboard: 28″ x 9″ (more compact)
- Eight height levels from 6.5″ to 16″
- Supports 37.5 lbs
- Surface dimension: 36″ W x 22″ D
- Monitor mount capability and cable organization
- Gas spring lift mechanism
- 1-year warranty
For a full review: VIVO Height Adjustable Standing Desk Riser (Desk-V000B) Review
Stand Steady – A different mechanical base
If you want something completely different than the Varidesk, then the Stand Steady X-Elite Pro Series can get you from a sitting position to standing position in three seconds, using its innovative air pump system.
You’re able to stand anywhere between seven to 16 inches, and when in a sitting position, its only 2.5″ off the table.
Unlike the other competitors, this standing desk converter uses a flat service and doesn’t have a second layer for keyboard and mouse. Depending on your comfort level, this may be a great Varidesk alternative that’s less than $200.
What makes Stand Steady X-Elite Pro stand out?
- Footprint dimension is 24.5 inches W x 16.8 inches D.
- Any level height adjustment from 7 to 16 inches.
- 2.5″ from table, on sitting position.
- Supports 27 lbs
- Multiple colors: black, cherry, maple, white
- Innovative pump system
- No assembly required
- 30-days return, following Amazon’s refund policy
For a full review: Stand Steady X-Elite Pro Review
Casiii – a more compact alternative
The Casiii stand up desk is a little more compact than the others, this is a great alternative for those that are looking for something smaller and doesn’t have much room in their office, with only 32″ W x 20.5″ D.
However, keyboard tray is stationary, which can be bad for those that need to have a little bit more ergonomics or adjustments on their standing desk converter.
Most of the customers have had positive reviews for this product and has been satisfied with their purchase, allowing them to change from their usual sit to a standing lifestyle.
What makes Casiii stand out?
- Stationary Keyboard: 23.6″ W x 10.2″ D
- Unlimited height levels from 6.7″ to 16.2″
- Supports up to 40 lbs
- Surface dimensions: 32″ W x 20.5″ D
- Gas spring lift mechanism
Langria – Dual monitor capability
The Langria adjustable standing desk converter has the most affordable Varidesk alternative amongst the rest. The surface area is also the largest and doesn’t cut open around the keyboard area, also giving you a tablet or phone slot.
With the Langria desk you can adjust the stand up desk without any limitations from a height of 5″ to 17.5″ tall, the same height as the Varidesk Pro Plus, which is pretty impressive.
One thing I’d caution if you’re looking into this product is to check the support. A few customers have noted that the support has not been helpful, however, if you’re purchasing this product through Amazon, you’ll have 30-days to try the product.
What makes Langria stand out?
- Pull out keyboard tray with adjustable knob: 2″ W x 9.5″ D
- Unlimited height levels from 5″ to 17.5″
- Anti-slip pads
- Desktop supports 33 lbs, Keyboard tray supports: 4.5 lbs
- X-frame design
- Added tablet or smartphone slot
- Largest surface area dimension: 31.5″ W x 24.5in D
Varidesk alternative standing desk over $200
Fully Cooper Bamboo – Aesthetically pleasing alternative to Varidesk
The Fully brand is more beautiful than all other standing desks, especially the bamboo. The wood makes it stand out the most. If you’re looking for an alternative to Varidesk Pro Plus, and that you want something beautiful, then this would be it.
Fully Cooper can support up to 35lbs and can rise up to 22″ (measured from the top of the desk) with a single squeeze paddle. The Varidesk would need to use two squeeze paddles, which makes this desk a little different
One thing that you may notice is that the keyboard is not retraceable, this can cause frustrations to some users, but it might not be an issue to most.
Because of its design, this standing desk can raise up and down without any preset levels, you can adjust it as freely as you want, from 6.25″ (measured from the top of the desktop) up to 22″.
What makes Fully Cooper Bamboo stand out?
- Bamboo finish
- Single squeeze paddle to raise the desk
- Free motion, no preset levels
- 36.6″ x 23″ desktop footprint
One of the most expensive Varidesk alternative desk risers we’ve reviewed. The Ergotron has proven to be superior amongst a lot of its competitors, and there’s a reason for that – the quality and build of this beast. The brand ensures that their products be top of the line and made of the highest quality.
The Ergotron is 37.5″ wide and 23″ in depth, enough for a dual monitor setup or a large monitor and a laptop. It has 5″ to 20″ of adjustability. It also rises straight up instead of rising towards you.
What makes the Ergotron Workfit stand out?
- Goes straight up, instead of going towards you
- Adjustment clips are smooth and quiet
- Does not wobble at the highest level
Another great Varidesk alternative that has over 500 reviews with 4.5 stars. This desk has been the top seller amongst its competitors. FlexiSpot is a fairly new company, definitely not as old as the Varidesk, but still knows how to make quality standing desk converters.
This standing desk converter is 35″ in width, which is very similar to the other brands. This desk has a keyboard tray as well, but you can remove it if you don’t like the way it feels on your wrist.
What makes the FlexiSpot stand out?
- Removable keyboard tray
- 5-year limited warranty
- 12 different adjustability levels
And finally, we end our last Varidesk alternative review with Amazon’s own branded product. You may usually find Amazon’s brand as a more affordable alternative, but in this case it isn’t. You’ll notice that they’re selling it a little higher than the others, but is it worth it?
The AmazonBasics standing desk has a 15″ height range (5-20″), with 36″ W x 23.7 D. The size is very similar to its competitors, however, there is no cutout in the desk, giving you optimal surface area.
What makes AmazonBasics stand out?
- No cutout in desk
- Wide keyboard for more space
- Sold by Amazon, a reputable company
Which Varidesk Alternative Is the Best?
I believe this is a hard question to answer, why? Because everyone is looking for different features, when it comes to their comfort. I’m not here to try to tell you that the The House of Trade is better than Langria, or vice versa. This article is to let you know the different options you can have as a Varidesk alternative.
If you want an x-frame with more surface area, and at a more affordable price, then we recommend you can pick up the Langria stand up desk, or if you need one with more support, The House of Trade reign supreme.
Comparing the Varidesk Competitors Table
|Varidesk Alternative Desk Under $200||Min. Height||Max Height||Weight Capacity (lbs)||*Price USD|
|The House of Trade||6.5″||16.5″||50 lbs||$188|
|Stand Steady X-Elite Pro||7″||16″||20 lbs||$150|
*The price listed is what was displayed at the time of writing.
- Minimum Height – The minimum height is measured in inches, from the top of your existing desk to the most top of the converter when its at the most bottom level. This is when you’re most likely sitting down. Some of the larger height require spacing due to a two tier (keyboard tray) level.
- Maximum Height – The maximum height is in inches, and it is measured at the highest level of the converter, presumably when you’re standing up.
- Weight Capacity (lbs) – This is how heavy the desk would be able to hold. Most laptops and and monitors are way under the max weight capacity listed. To put it in perspective, the newest 27″ Apple iMac (2018) weights about 20.8 lbs.
- Price USD – This is how much the desks costs at the time of this writing. All prices are under $200 for those more on a budget.
Note: We’ll be going over more Varidesk alternative soon! Let us know in the comments below which standing desk you’d like us to review.
If you do decide on which Varidesk alternative, please let us know!
You may also like to read:
- Comparing Versa Power Pro vs Varidesk Stand Up Desk Converter
- 8 Best Ergonomic Childrens Desk and Chair Set
- 15 Best Over Bed Tables for Hospital and Home Use
- 10 Contemporary and Modern Glass L-Shape Desks