Nowadays, we are becoming more aware of the different challenges brought by too much sitting and standing as it results in improper body posture. This is the reason why offices are encouraged to provide a healthier working environment for their employees such as the use of standing desk stools, but also known as standing desk chairs, to complement using a standing desk converter, and perhaps other office equipment.
Having a good standing desk chair in the office or even at home is essential for your entire well-being. It does not only promote proper body posture, by keeping you active while sitting, which can lead to reducing the risk of obesity, cardiovascular diseases, cancer and even stimulate correct metabolism.
Best Standing Desk Stools
Learniture Adjustable Standing Desk Stool
Best Standing Stool for Active Sitting
- A great stool for sitting or leaning to help you stay active while sitting.
- Comes preassembled out of the box.
- Adjusts from 18.5″ up to 28″ in height.
- Easy-to-use pneumatic gas lift.
- Base of the chair is non-slip material.
- Comes in multiple colors.
Ergo Impact LeanRite Elite Standing Desk Stool
Best Premium Standing Desk Stool and Mat Combination
- Stool has an adjustable seat tilt.
- Comes with an anti-fatigue mat for comfort and non-slip base material.
- Has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee or money back.
- Accommodates people 5′ up to 6′-4″.
- Height ranges from 22.5 inchest to 46.3 inches.
- Adjustable seat angles to 15, 45 and 90 degrees.
AmazonBasics Multi-Purpose Drafting Stool
Best Value Multi-Purpose Drafting Stool
- Simple standing drafting stool to get you into an active sitting.
- Made from Amazon, backed by a one-year limited warranty.
- Has a 250-pounds weight capacity.
- Adjustable seat height from 30.3 to 36.2 inches.
- The seat provides 360-degree swivel.
- Chrome arched base with heavy-duty, dual-wheel casters for smooth maneuverability.
VARIchair Standing Desk Stool by Varidesk
Best High-Quality Standing Desk Stool
- Built with high quality, from a trusted brand, Varidesk, a leading standing desk products.
- Weighs only 26 pounds.
- The chair comes fully assembled.
- Air-lift piston mechanism and adjustable seat up to 32.75″.
- Provides an active complement to your standing.
aeris GmbH Swooper Classic Active Standing Desk Stool
Best Active Sitting Standing Desk Stool
- Adjustable for people with different height and weight.
- The bounce, tilt and sway of the stool allows you to move in all different directions, helping your core stay strong and engaged.
- Chair comes in comfortable suede materials.
- Cushion is durable.
- Comes preassembled.
- The swooper has 5 different colors to choose from.
Vivora Luna Active Sitting Yoga Ball Chair
Best Active Sitting Yoga Ball Chair
- Helps keep you engage when sitting.
- Great to pair with your standing desk when you need to stand, but when you need to sit, you’re still burning calories and staying active.
- Designed yoga ball for the home office.
- Available in 11 colors and two different sizes.
- Activates back and core support muscles which promotes good posture and can potentially relieve back pain.
Focal FKS-1000-RD Standing and Leaning Seat
Best Value Active Stool
- The simple design allows you to easily change from a standing position to a sitting position.
- A dynamic range of motion.
- An adjustable height that accommodates users between 4′-11″ to 6′-8″.
- Very convenient and can be carried anywhere you want to work standing up.
- Light and collapsible
Gaiam Adjustable Balance Ball Sit-Stand Chair
Best Balance Ball Standing Desk Stool
- The perfect pairing for a standing desk, allows you to have the benefit of a yoga ball while still sitting up right.
- Yoga ball-shaped seat for comfort and core engagement.
- The half-dome yoga inflatable cushion works as an active seat, causing micro-movements which strengthens the core and helps improve posture and boost circulation.
- Adjustable hydraulic lift, adjusting from 23″ up to 33″ in height.
- Provides a full 360-degree swivel.
- Includes an inflation pump for the seat.
- 300-lbs weight capacity.
Different seating types
You’ll notice that our list shows a variety of different standing desk chairs and stool. The three main types are the leaning stool, the drafting chair, and the active sitting chair, and here are the break down of what they’re good for.
- Leaning stool – In this case, the leaning stool such as the Ergo Impact or the Focal allows you to rest in a position where you’re standing by sitting on a stool to keep you upright. This type of stool allows you to still stay standing, but relaxes your muscle at the same time.
- Drafting chair – This is different than conventional chairs because of the height it provides. It is mostly for an elevated desk. The drafting chair gives you a lift while still sitting down so you don’t have to adjust your standing desk. Standing desk drafting chairs also always has a foot rest so your feet doesn’t dangle while seated. People also use the foot rest while standing too, this allows you to move around while standing, which helps with blood flow.
- Active sitting chair – This is an interesting type of chair because these types of chairs allows your core to stay engaged while sitting, which ultimately helps you build better posture. The active chair doesn’t have anything to help stabilize you, all the stabilization is done through your core and legs.
Why use a standing desk stool?
If you have a standing desk, then a sit to stand chair is a great combination to continue your work without having to continuously adjust the desk to a sitting position, nor would you want to stand for a very long time. Other than having the ability to have a continuous workflow, here are some reasons people use a standing desk stool:
- Helps reduce the risk of lower back pain – This will help with tilting your pelvis slightly forward, allowing your spine to return to a natural state, giving you a more relaxed feeling and recovery on your lower back.
- Increase movement and core muscles for better health – Some of these chairs require you to use your core muscles to stabilize the chair, thus encourages you to keep an active state.
- Reduces the risk of lower limb circulation problems – Standing desk stools helps with the circulation of your blood. Leaning or sitting on the stool helps users flex the muscles of the lower legs, and thus helps with the circulation of the blood in the lower legs.
- Reduces strain on knees – While standing, you may create stress on your knees and joints, but having a sit/stand stool can help reduce this problem.
Best Standing Desk Stool Buying Guide
As highlighted above, there are a lot of things that you need to consider when you are purchasing a desk stool for standing desks. Check the following factors and hopefully, you’ll come to a conclusion on which desk stool will work for you.
This is one of the most vital factors which you need to check on your ideal standing desk stool. You have to ensure that your chosen stool promotes the proper posture and provides the health benefits that you would like to have. This factor promotes health which is a long term benefit for you or for your employees. You may need to go beyond comfort, style and your intended budget as you keep this factor in mind. However, you can be assured that you will be able to function effectively at work by keeping this factor in mind.
We know it might be difficult to stray away from a comfortable ergonomic chair, but a standing desk stool can be comfortable as well! The key to comfort is having proper posture. In fact, you will be able to freely move, stand and sit when you are comfortable with the size, style and design of your stool. So, make sure that upon choosing, your preferred stool provides you the comfort you need.
Appearance and Design
Of course, you will need to check the design and the general appearance of your standing desk stool. Make sure that the design does not affect the comfort it provides and delivers the impression which you would like for your clients to have on you. You have to take note of the fact that the moment your clients will enter your working area, your office, and its furniture will be the first one that they will notice. So, make sure that they will not see cheap looking furniture and guarantee that you are capable of meeting their expectations.
Through this guideline, you will be able to find the most efficient standing desk stool for a reasonable range of prices. Although, you also have to consider that most of the time, additional comfort and efficiency may require extra cost. In fact, a lot of people believe that buying cheap is a lot more expensive. When you settle for less expensive materials, it usually means settling for the least good and often times allow you to spend more as you need to buy a replacement from time to time.
This is why it is imperative that you consider the factors we have presented here for you to be confident that everything which you will be spending on will be worth your every penny.
Standing Desk Stool FAQ
Is a standing desk stool worth it?
If you’re using a standing desk and often standing, then yes, we definitely recommend getting a stool to help you relax a little if you’re constantly in a standing position. Sometimes you don’t want to change your desk from a standing position to a sitting position, which is why a stool is very convenient to get the best of both worlds – sitting and standing.
How long can I lean on standing desk stools for?
Because stools are better than sitting down, if you can lean on stools as long as you can, it is recommended. Standing desk stools uses your core, so it helps with your posture. However, our studies show that only a few people can actually engage in a good posture for only 20 minutes or so. So when you start slumping or perhaps setting an alarm for 20 minutes, start walking around or come back from doing your work and remember to correct your posture again.
Are all stools different?
Not all stools are different. They may seem like they all do the same thing, but in fact, different standing desk stools differ from each other.
What’s the purpose?
This article intends to provide you with the most detailed buying guide for you to choose the best standing desk stools. We are very aware that there are a lot of options in the market which makes the choice a difficult task. Our experts in the team have also made sure that we will be able to provide you the specific factors to consider upon choosing so you can start weighing down your choices according to your own purpose and the functions you preferred.
With the tight competition in the market today and the wide array of choices, it is best that we are fully equipped with the knowledge for us to choose the best one that can fulfill our needs and our preferences. We hope that the following discussion will provide you with the necessary skills and information to ensure that you will get your money’s worth.
Desk Advisor’s Desk Stool Overview
Standing desk stools are recommended as they do not only you the comfort which you need to perform efficiently at work or at school, but also ensure that you gain health benefits for your body. This is the reason why we have come up with this article for you to find the best one that can deliver these benefits without wasting your money for choosing the wrong one.
Basing from the above discussion, we like the Varichair by Varidesk. It offers the quality, comfort, excellent design and ergonometric qualifications which are essential to your sitting and standing experiences. It may have its own downside, but its benefit and affordable price outweigh such shortcomings.
If you like this article from deskadvisor.org, you may also like:
- Best Gaming Desk
- Best Home Office Gym Equipment
- Best Anti-Gravity Reclining Chairs Buyer’s Guide
- Best DXRacing Ergonomic Gaming Chairs
Sources & References:
Subscribe to our list
Don't worry, we don't spam