Are you have aches on your lower back or constantly notice yourself slouching? The balance ball can be the answer to your problems. These exercise-like balance ball chairs were developed based off of the yoga ball to help strengthen your core and fix your posture when you’re working at your desk.
Why Balance Ball Chairs
Balance ball chairs have little to no back support. The idea of the chair is that you are constantly engaging your abdominal muscles so it can improve posture, balance, and stability.
When sitting at a non-ergonomic chair, you’re more likely to slouch which will lead to body aches. Thus, the balance ball chair has been a popular choice amongst Millenials versus regular office chairs.
Instead of getting an adjustable desk or a full-on ergonomic chair, the balance ball chair is an affordable option to help you be more ergonomic at your desk.
Best Balance Ball Chairs
Safco Products Zenergy Swivel Ball Chair
Best Unique Design Balance Ball Chair
- Comes in multiple colors to match your decor.
- Bounces and spins 360 degrees to keep your body moving.
- Unique design to help with leaning, bouncing, and swiveling.
- Designed with a rubber-molded anti-skid base for any floor use.
- Weighs 13.5 lbs, supports up to 250 lbs.
- Pump included with chair.
- Also an option with legs/wheels.
Gaiam Classic Balance Ball Chair
Best Overall Balance Ball Chair
- Comes in multiple colors
- Recommended for users 5′ to 5′ 11″ tall.
- Fits most standard-height desks.
- Ability to add leg extensions for taller desks.
- Has a 300 lbs weight capacity.
- Ability to remove the exercise ball.
- Comes with a metal support ball.
- Has back support.
- Comes with a pump.
Vivora Luno Office Yoga Ball
Best Value Yoga Balance Ball for Stronger Core
- Ability to choose two different sizes, colors and material.
- Has leather covering option for comfort and aesthetics.
- Stand-alone balance ball to force you to engage your core.
- Universal uses – great for yoga, back stretching, posture workouts, physioball balance training.
- Patented design to help carry the ball around.
- Pump included.
Gaiam Balance Ball Chair Stool
Best Balance Ball Chair Stool for Raised Desks
- Comes in various sizes and colors.
- Half-dome inflatable cushion helps users who stand often or works at a raised desk be more active when they’re in a sitting position.
- The stool allows you to adjust the height.
- 360-degree swivel for easy and free movements.
- Casters are lockable to prevent you from rolling.
Which is better a yoga exercise ball or the balance ball chairs?
A regular yoga ball comes in different sizes and different air pressures. If your normal exercise ball’s size fits your desk at an ergonomic height and having the right air pressure for comfort, then we don’t see an issue using it.
There are specialized balance ball chairs (which we mentioned above) that come with legs and lumbar support which is designed more for sitting. Either option should work to your favor in helping you stay active throughout your work days.